When I search for specific items in a search engine and the websites come up, I want to be able to search for the words when I click on the search engine results. Previously for windows PC I will press the 'Control-F' function and they will search and highlight the words that come up. Aug 20, 2021 Try Command+F or Control+F keyboard shortcuts. On most web pages, word processors, and other programs, you can use the keyboard shortcut Command + F on a Mac, or Control + F on Windows to find.
Without knowing the right key commands, it would be mighty hard to pinpoint the exact words we seek in a web page. Following are a few interesting ways to make your word search a whole lot easier.
Word Document Word Search
It can get exhausting to search for a specific word on a web page, especially when you have no intention of reading the entire write up. What most people do not realize is, how easy it is to search for exact words and phrases on a page. If only you had known earlier, it could have saved you all that time and effort you wasted in your earlier searches. Well not to worry, all you need is a few key commands in order to get this simple job done!
- Highlight: The Google search engine has a support tool bar that gives you the ‘highlight’ option. Just click on the button and it will highlight all matching results for you. However, these options differ for Firefox and Internet Explorer.
For Internet Explorer: The first step is to click on the ‘wrench icon‘ on the toolbar. Thereafter, go to the Tools tab, and either select or deselect the ‘Highlight‘ check box. The final step is to click on the ‘Save‘ button.
For Mozilla Firefox, the first step is to go to the Toolbar’s ‘wrench option‘. Then go to the ‘Search‘ tab, there you may either select or deselect the ‘Highlight‘ option on the check box. Lastly click on the ‘Save‘ option.
- Word Find: Google also has the ‘Find word option’ wherein whichever word you type in the search box appears in the tool bar.
- The second method on how to search for a word on a website, is rather simpler. While using Firefox in order to search for the word you’re looking for on the web page, you need to press CTRL+F on your keyboard.
- Thereafter, a small box will open on the bottom corner of your screen. Now, type the word or phrase you want highlighted throughout the web page. If the word exists on the web page, then that word will automatically get highlighted for you.
- The highlights will occur as many times as the words repeat themselves on the page.
- Thereby making it easier for you to just concentrate on specific lines or paragraphs.
- For example, if the word you’re looking for is ‘health insurance plan‘, press CLTR+F to open the search box. Then just type the phrase in the search box and all the sentences that include ‘health insurance plan‘ will get highlighted for you.
- If you are using Google Chrome then the search box will appear on the top corner of your web page once you type the CLTR+F command on your keyboard.
- You can search for as many words and phrases on any web page through this method.
If suppose the search box at the corner of your web page does not open, you have another choice which will activate the search box and help you search for the word you’re looking for.
- Firstly you will need to go to the Edit tab on your toolbar.
- Now click on the Find option.
- Once you do that, the search box will open for you and you can type in the word or phrase you are searching for. If the word does not exist then Phrase not found will appear.
Using the aforementioned methods will make it faster for you to search for specific key words and make your research work faster and far more efficient.
Recover Mac Data
When working with files on a Mac, nothing can be as disastrous as leaving a Word document unsaved or deleting Word documents by mistake, especially after several hours’ even days’ work on it. Though Microsoft Office 365, 2019, 2016 and 2011 Mac versions offers AutoRecover feature to restore an unsaved Word document caused by crash, sudden power off or others, the AutoRecovery may not be activated or won't recover, is there any possibility to recover unsaved Microsoft Word documents on Mac without AutoRecovery?
Yes, there are. In this article, we will introduce all the fixes on Mac word document recovery, no matter you want to recover unsaved Word document on Mac with or without AutoRecovery, or restore lost even retrieve a previous version of Word document on mac in Microsoft Office 2011, 2016 , 2019 or Office 365 for 2020 & 2021.
Best Word Recovery Software for Mac
- Recover all documents (Word, PPT, Excel) from Office 2011, 2016, 2019, Office 365 in 2020/2021 on Mac
- Recover word files from internal or external devices
- Recover word documents lost due to different situations
- Preview word document before recovery
- Recover various files (photos, videos, audios, archives, documents, etc)
Part 1. How to Recover Unsaved Word Document on Mac with or without AutoRecovery
Method #1. Unsaved Word Recovery with AutoRecovery
AutoRecover is a feature of Microsoft Word series helping users to save the files automatically when working (editing or modifying) on a Word document. By default, Microsoft Word automatically saves the files every 10 minutes. Here, we need to make sure if the AutoRecover is ON.
How to Check if AutoRecover is Enabled?
- Go to Word menu>Preferences.
- Choose Output and Sharing>Save.
- Make sure the box before “Save AutoRecover info” is checked and you can tweak the parameter in “Save every XXX minutes”.
Where to find AutoRecover Files in Word for Mac?
For Office Word 2016/2019/Office 365 in 2020/2021:
For Office Word 2011:
How to Recover Unsaved Word Document on Mac with AutoRecover?
- Go to Finder, find the unsaved files in the above-mentioned AutoRecover location.
Or Go to Finder>Go to Folder, input the AutoRecover location to find the files.
- Open the AutoRecover word document with Office Word on Mac, then save the file.
Method #2. Recover unsaved word document on Mac without AutoRecovery
#Way 1 Unsaved Word Doc Recovery From Temporary Folder
If you can’t recover unsaved word document via AutoSave, then you’d better check your Temporary folder.
Steps to Recover Unsaved Word Document on Mac from Temp Folder
- Open Terminal by going to Finder>Application>Terminal.
- Enter “open $TMPDIR” in the window and press “Enter”.
- Open the “Temporaryitems”.
- Open the ~Word Word files with TextEdit application, then copy and paste the text to Office Word.
#Way 2. Open a Word Document to Recover Unsaved Word on Mac
If you have turned the AutoRecover feature ON, there is a quite simple but easily over-looked method to recover the word document that wasn’t saved due to force quit or power off on mac---to open a Word document.
Situation 1: The unsaved word document is caused by force quit, program or system crash, but the Mac is not powered off.
Solution 1: Open any one of your word documents, then the Office Word will be launched, and all the previously opened Word documents will be opened. Find the Word document, go to File>Save.
Situation 2: The unsaved word document is caused by sudden power off.
How To Search For A Word On A Website Mac
Solution 2: Restart your Mac immediately, once you see the desktop, you will find all the word documents left unsaved are opened. Then, go to File>Save and make your word documents saved.
YouTube Video Tutorial to Recover Unsaved Word Document on Mac
In this video, you will learn how to recover an unsaved word document on mac using AutoRecover and Temporary folder.
Part 2. How to Recover Lost or Deleted Word Document on Mac
There are some times we just lost or accidentally deleted a Word document, here we recommend 3 ways to recover lost or deleted word documents on mac.
Way #1. Best Way to Recover Lost or Deleted Word Document on Mac 2021
There may be multiple ways to recover a deleted or lost word document on mac, but the best way to do a Word recovery with high success rate is using a professional data recovery software. To make things easier, here I will recommend you the best word document recovery tool for Mac– Cisdem Data Recovery.
The Data Recovery for Mac is designed to safely get all your deleted, lost or formatted word documents and other files like photos, videos, audios, archives back from your Mac hard drive and other storage devices.
- 5 recovery mode to deal with different data loss;
- Support all kinds of internal or external storage devices;
- Recover more than 200 types of files;
- Preview files before recovery;
- Fast scanning and recovery;
- Recover files in a high success rate;
- Compatible on macOS 11 Big Sur and earlier;
Follow these steps to recover word document on Mac.
- Free download the Cisdem Data Recovery below.
- Open the word document recovery tool to choose a recovery mode.
You can choose Basic Data Recovery (Quick) or Advanced Data Recovery (Deep).
- Choose the disk where the word document was lost or deleted and start scanning.
- Recover word documents on Mac.
Select the word documents you want to recover, hit 'Recover' button to recover the word document to your mac.
YouTube Tutorial Video to Recover Word Document on Mac
Way #2. Recover Lost or Deleted Word Documents in Mac Trash
When the word document is lost or deleted, the first thing you should do is to check the Trash bin. Since, all the removed items are transferred to Trash Bin by default on mac.Here are the steps to recover from Mac Trash.
- Go to Trash Bin;
- Click on the “change the item arrangement” to fast find the deleted Word document by “Added Date” or “Kind”;
- Right click on the Word file, choose “Put Back”, then the word document will appear in the popped folder;
Way #3. Recover Lost or Deleted Word Document on Mac from Backup.
In fact, if you have a good habit to back up files via online storage services, that would be much easier to get the lost or deleted word document back. Though there are many online storage services, such as Google Drive, iCloud, OneDrive, Dropbox, the steps to recover Word documents from these backups are quite easy and similar. Here we take iCloud and Google Drive to demonstrate how to do the online Word recovery.
- Go to iCloud website or app, login into your iCloud account;
- Go to Settings>Advanced>Restore Files;
- Choose Word document you want to recover, then click “Restore File” to recover.
Via Google Drive
- Go to Google website or app, login into your Google account;
- Go to Trash, find the deleted Word document;
- Right click on the deleted Word document, select “Restore” to recover the deleted Word document on mac.
How to Recover Previous Version of Word Document on Mac (Office 2011 & 2016 & 2019&365)
We all know that Mac Preview builds in the feature allowing users to revert to previous versions, but unfortunately, Office Word on Mac is not able to do so.
According to Microsoft Office, “Version history in Office only works for files stored in OneDrive or SharePoint Online”. So, Office itself doesn’t help to recover preview version of Word document on Mac 2011/2016/2019/Office 365 in 2020 or 2021, but we still have some trick to restore a previous version of a word document on mac.
#1. Manually Find the Previous Version
If the Word document is not created by you, go ask for the original word document from the sender;
If you are the one created the Word document, it is much likely that the current Word document has went through different versions, so track down to see if you have sent out previous version before via emails/iCloud, or deleted in Trash Bin, if yes, get them back and rename it.
#2. Use Time Machine on Mac
If you have turned the Time Machine ON, your Word documents will be well backed up and you are able to get a previous version of your Word document.
How To Word Search On Windows
Steps to Recover Previous Version of Word Document on Mac
- Step 1. Go to Finder >Application and launch Time Machine
- Step 2. Open the folder where you store the Word file. Or you can go to Finder>All My Files, then find the Word file by choosing an arrangement type.
- Step 3. Find the Word document to recover. You can use the timeline on the edge of the screen to check Word documents backup, then select and press Space Bar to preview.
- Step 4. Click “Restore” to get the previous Word document back on mac.
None of data recovery tools help recover unsaved Word document on Mac, but if you still cannot get the Word documents back with AutoRecovery, from Temporary folder or others, you can have a try on the data recovery program, such as Cisdem, it may find and restore different versions of your Word documents on Mac.