- Not sure if OP is looking to print to PDF or make edits to PDF (not commenting but actual edits to text, etc). But the free version lets you do callouts, comments, clouds, etc. If it's super detailed editing, I cannot speak highly enough about how well adobe acrobat DC can edit the shit out of some PDFs. Like creepy good editing.
- PDF X is the free PDF reader & editor 2020 for windows, an alternative to adobe acrobat reader. It's a powerful app for viewing, printing, editing and annotating PDFs. Features Supported Formats: PDF, PS, Tiff, CHM, DjVu, Images, DVI, XPS, ODT, Fiction Book, Comic Book, Plucker, EPub, Fax VIEW. Horizontal or Vertical scroll, Single Page.
Cross-platform PDF editor; Free to use; Able to edit text and other parts of your PDF file with ease #7. Compatibility: Mac. Skim is the best open source PDF maker for Mac. With the help of this tool, you can preview PDF files with comment features.
Get PDF editor with OCR
You can't escape them — PDFs are everywhere, especially in the workplace. Although convenient to read, PDFs can be tricky to deal with if you just need to make quick changes to the text, sign a form, or send a file through a size-restrictive platform.
With a default PDF reader like Preview on the Mac, finding a certain word in the PDF is difficult and editing a document can be almost out of the question. Without knowing which tools to use, it will be very hard to make changes to a PDF document. Fortunately, there are plenty of PDF apps to help you get the editing job done.
You can use PDF Search to search for specific document, information, facts, or figures. This would come in particularly handy if your PDFs are very long. To pore through your PDF in batches or to scan through long files, open the app and type in a search word or phrase in the search bar. Even if you misspell a word, PDF Search's artificial intelligence feature will make an effort to understand what you mean and help you find exactly what you're looking for.
Tools to Edit PDF Documents
By now, if you don't know how to modify a PDF document, you may be left behind. Good news is taking control of your PDF files is not rocket science — whether they be for home or work, you just need the right set of tools in place to cover your everyday requirements.
To help you alter PDF documents, there are a few apps with such useful features as adding comments, filling and signing agreements for your business, removing sensitive information, and compressing large files to allow for easier sharing. Stop agonizing over how to edit PDFs and try a few of the powerful applications mentioned below. You may want to redact your PDF documents, like edit typos or add different images, but how do you go about doing so?
Grab the best PDF editor
A perfect toolkit that allows you to rotate, combine, highlight, annotate, and change anything about your PDF. Easy squeezy.
Apple provides every Mac with Preview, a free program that allows you to read and edit PDF files (add and highlight text, combine PDF documents and transfer pages from one PDF to another, add a signature and comments).
Edit and mark up PDFs with Preview
The experience of editing images with Preview is pretty intuitive. We've created a quick guidance for you to instantly find what you're looking for.
How to type on a PDF, add text and notes
Open the PDF in Preview and try to add text by clicking on the target text field. If it doesn't work, you'll have to add a new text or note field:
- Select Tools > Annotate > Text/Note.
- Click on the text/note box that appears in your document and start typing.
- Close the box by clicking outside it. You can move the note/text field anywhere via drag and drop.
- To customize fonts or color of text, select View > Show Markup Toolbar > A.
Highlight text in a PDF
To activate the highlight mode in Preview, select the Highlight button in the top right corner. Click on the down arrow next to the Highlight button to change color, or choose an option to underline or strikethrough.
When switched on, highlights will be applied to any text you click on. You can switch it off by clicking on the same Highlight button.
To view notes and highlights in the PDF, select View > Highlights and Notes.
Combine multiple PDFs
- To merge PDF files, open one PDF in Preview.
- Select View > Thumbnails to see the thumbnails of all pages.
- Click on Edit > Insert > Page from file and open another PDF.
- Choose destination and save the updated file as PDF.
Rotate, delete, rearrange pages, and renumber pages inside a PDF
You can cut pages out or change the order of pages in a few steps via thumbnails:
- Open a document in Preview.
- Navigate to View > Thumbnails.
- To rotate, click on a page thumbnail > Tools > Rotate Left or Right.
- To delete pages in a PDF, select thumbnail > Tools > Delete to remove a page from your PDF.
- Rearrange by dragging pages around in the sidebar.
To change page numbering, you can use PDFpen editor. When you open a file, go to Edit > Headers, Footers, Page numbers > Insert. From there, you can customize the position and format of page numbers as well as define a starting page.
Split PDF files
To separate pages in a scanned PDF, simply drag the page you want to remove from the thumbnails pane to desktop. If needed, you can combine those pages into a separate PDF file afterwards.
How to reduce PDF size
You can compress your PDF in Preview while exporting the doc. Once you're done with editing, select File > Export. Click on Quartz Filter to open the pop-up menu > Reduce File Size.
Apart from Preview, you can use a scanning application like Prizmo app to create easily searchable PDF files out of paper-based images like brochures, books, or posters. This app lets you scan and recognize any photo documents to make them editable. You can even take a photo of a physical document on your phone, and finish editing on your Mac.
To make corrections or rewrite some text within the original file with editable text blocks, try PDFpen. Also you can use it to highlight, draw, scribble on the document.
Edit any PDF on a Mac
To correct text with PDFpen:
- Open the desired PDF document within the application
- Highlight the text within the PDF and click Correct Text
- Erase the current text and type the desired changes
To insert and edit an image in PDF:
- Click on 'Insert' icon and choose an image you want to add
- Move and/or resize the image by dragging it around inside the PDF
- Double clicking an image lets you adjust it or add some effects
- You can also delete pictures and drop new ones
You can also edit images by converting them into PDFs with Prizmo. With powerful OCR, Prizmo app instantly captures text and makes it fluid and editable.
To create a PDF from an image with Prizmo, use the following steps:
- Click the plus icon in Prizmo
- Find your source in the drop-down menu
- Select an image that you'd like to convert to PDF and click Add
- Click Recognize in the top right corner or toggle Text mode in View.
- Editable text will appear on the right side of the window.
Add comments and annotations to a PDF
To help yourself with extra notes or annotations, you can add comments directly onto a PDF. Comments can be useful to readers when you want to provide extra information about certain parts of the document.
To add text using Preview app:
- Place your cursor where you want to insert text.
- Go to 'Tools,' click on 'Annotate,' select 'Text,' and start typing.
- To change the font, size, or color, go to 'View,' click on 'Show Markup Toolbar,' and press A.
- You also can move the text box anywhere on the document.
A regular PDF viewer app won't let you attach comments to specific areas on a PDF, so you need to use an editor like PDFpen to do that. This app allows to add comments to PDF files with highlights, sticky notes, a freehand drawing. Annotations are useful because you can embed them into the file without being too distracting for a reader. You can also use the markup tools to add shapes around important areas of the PDF and underline things to remember.
To comment and make notes on PDF:
- Click on the Comment (cmd+8) or on the Notes (cmd+7) on the
- Tap on the area of the document where you want the comment or note to appear
- Type in the comment or note area field
- Drag the comment or note text box to the desired area on the document
Fill and sign PDF forms (e-sign)
Printing documents just to sign them and scan them back can be frustrating and time-consuming. Many of us don't even have printers anymore. But luckily with e-signatures, there's no need for all that.
Now you can easily add your signature to digital forms and documents in macOS. Whether you're looking to have a new client sign an agreement, a tenancy contract, or any other PDF form, e-signature will save you time (and ink).
To sign a document using PDFpen:
- Scan your signature and save it as an image file
- OR draw your signature right on a PDF with your trackpad, magic mouse, etc.
- Drag, resize and correct position the signature inside your PDF file.
To sign your PDF file with Preview app:
- Open the document you want to sign
- In main menu go to Tools > Annotate > Signature > Manage signatures
- To create signature tap to Click Here to Begin, draw your signature on the trackpad, press any key when finish, and then Done
- You can also scan your handwritten signature - write it on a piece of paper, hold to be visible to the camera, and Preview will draw a virtual signature.
- Choose the signature created to insert it into the document. Drag, resize and correct position of your sign like a regular image
Redact sensitive information from PDFs
Many of the PDF files on your computer may contain sensitive or personal information, leaving you at risk of becoming a victim to identity theft. For example, a PDF form could contain your tax information, credit card numbers, or other personal details that you don't want to share with third parties.
This is where PDF redaction comes in handy. Without an appropriate PDF editor like PDFpen, it can be very difficult to remove parts of the text you want to hide from a document. Redaction can remove a word or an entire line of text with a black box or empty white space.
Of course, if you don't want to use software to redact your PDF, you can always take a black marker to cross out any information from a printed sheet. To make your life easier, use the following steps to redact sensitive information.
To redact an entire section of a document:
- Within PDFpen, click Tools and select the rectangle tool
- Select the area of the text you want to redact
- Click Format and Redact Text-Block
To redact selected text:
- Under Tools select Text Tools
- Select the text you want to redact
- Click Format and Redact Text – Block
Compress and share a PDF
If you don't have a strong or reliable internet connection, it can be hard to send large PDF files to friends or colleagues. In order to upload large PDF files onto the cloud, send via email, or add them into size-restricted forms, you'll need an app like PDF Squeezer to help you compress the PDF file while keeping the original quality. You can rest easy that this process won't convert your PDF into a ZIP file.
To shrink your PDF resumes, applications, or visa-related documents for the web, use the following steps:
- Open PDF Squeezer
- Drag the PDF file you want to compress into the 'Drop Your Files Here' section
- At the drop-down menu, select your preferred dpi and image quality
- Click Save
With a built-in feature to send your PDF files to friends, clients, or colleagues, it makes sharing your compressed documents super easy. Click Share to send your file via text, email, or other options.
Get a collection of PDF instruments
In a single package, download a bunch of useful PDF tools, each of which complements the other's functionality. Give it a try!
So with the use of a few apps, you'll easily be able to create, search, and share PDFs all while saving time and frustration by being able to directly make changes to your documents, add notes, or remove personal information with redaction. Best of all, Setapp can help you do all of the above and features every app you can use to increase your PDF productivity. You can try the apps mentioned here at no cost along with over 150 other high-quality macOS apps.
• Filed to: Edit PDF
With the popularity of PDF documents comes the need to manipulate the text, for instance, highlighting. You may need to highlight PDF documents with a PDF highlighter for several reasons:
- Highlight important information in long documents for your reference, for example, when you read.
- Sharing of information that you need the other reader to see first.
- Highlighting the areas of the PDF that need correction.
- In annotations, the highlight will show where the comments and any other markup point to.
There are several programs in use today that have the highlighter for PDF features. Here are the top ten PDF highlighters for both the Mac and Windows platforms, including PDFelement Pro.
Part 1: Top 5 PDF Highlighter for Mac
#1: PDFelement Pro for Mac
Among the most popular software, PDFelement Pro is an all-in-one software for the creation, editing, conversion to other formats, annotation, and most importantly is highlighting PDF documents. You access the PDF highlighter feature using the Highlight button in the top right corner. It is simple; you click the highlight button and select the text to highlight. You can change the highlight color to green, red, and any other custom color you want. You can enjoy a broad range of other features with this software.
- Easily highlight PDF files and add a sticky note, text box, and freehand drawing to PDF.
- Edit PDF texts, links, images, pages with multiple editing tools as easy as working on Word files.
- Convert PDF to Word, Excel, PPT, EPUB, images, and convert multiple PDF files in batch.
- Easily fill out the PDF form and extract data from PDF forms in 1 click.
- OCR scanned PDF and allows you to combine, split, and compress PDF files.
#2: Foxit Reader for Mac
A flagship PDF Reader for Foxit software is the second of the best highlighter for PDF. It is a reliable and versatile program that enables you to view, create, convert or annotate your documents. The user interface gives users just what they need making the handling of PDF documents an effortless process. As you view your document, you can select and highlight important information. You can leave comments and use an array of other markup tools in this application.
#3: Scribus for Mac
Scribus is open-source publishing software that offers a range of features besides versatile PDF creation. You will enjoy the user-friendly interface as you deal with PDF documents from creation, editing, and other manipulations. The highlight feature enables you to view key points at a glance if it is a long document. There are two versions, one stable and the other more recent one under development, to choose from according to your needs. Whether you are a professional or a beginner, Scribus is a good choice.
#4: PDF-X change for Mac
One reliable software is this highlighter for PDF editor that allows users to personalize the pages with sticky notes beside the addition of images and manipulation of text. Highlighting is simple on this application and, therefore, a good option for good PDF software. The changes you make in the document are saved with the document, and thus you can open it later and access the text as you highlighted it. The tooltip feature allows you to see what will happen before you do a particular action.
Best Free Pdf Editor For Mac Reddit 2019
This free pdf highlighter helps accomplish most PDF needs effortlessly. You can edit or view images besides the PDF editing feature. Users can view PDF, add simple modifications, annotate, and highlight PDF documents seamlessly on this application developed by NeXT. Other features include the editing and filling of forms that is the current trend. You can view and print the PDF documents at a click of a button. It completes the list of the top 5 highlighters for Mac.
Part 2: Top 5 PDF Highlighter for Windows
#1: PDFelement Pro for Windows
The best software in this group is this PDFelement Pro for Windows that gives you control over your PDF files. With this software, you can insert, delete, extract and add watermark, change the background, and other things. The highlight for PDF feature allows you to manage the information in your documents easily. Highlighting enables you to master your documents as you read, though. Another feature that goes hand in hand is annotation is an excellent way to manipulate your work.
#2: Foxit Reader
Currently, the best alternative for Adobe Reader is the Foxit Reader, available for both Windows and Mac. Like the Mac version, the Windows version is suitable for creating, viewing, converting, annotating PDF documents, and an array of other features. With this PDF reader with highlight functions, you can easily interact with your document in an easy-to-use interface. The interface is ribbon-based similar to Microsoft Office, thus easier for you to navigate the application. It meets your expectations in dealing with PDF.
#3: Nitro PDF Reader
Among the best highlighters for PDF, Nitro PDF reader with highlighter stands out with its amazing capabilities in handling PDF. You can scan, edit and convert documents using this software. Reviewing documents, securing, and converting PDF to other formats make this software a one-stop solution to all needs. The highlight feature that comes with annotation and markup is crucial in enabling you to personalize your document the way you want.
#4: Adobe Acrobat Pro
Best Free Pdf Editor For Mac Reddit
The standard PDF reader with a highlighter for windows is Adobe, which delivers all you need in dealing with your documents. Ability to handle even the most complex documents that some other PDF software cannot handle, Acrobat has stood tall even with many alternatives available. Among the features, users can access the highlight for PDF, which comes in handy when reading documents. Adobe gives more flexibility and the ability to customize your highlighting. The premium version is what gives you access to these features and more.
#5: Xodo PDF Reader & Editor
Pdf Editor For Macbook Pro
To complete the list of the best PDF highlighters is this innovative Xodo PDF Reader and Editor that makes handling PDF documents an enjoyable thing. Besides the powerful viewing, creation, and editing, you can easily highlight your text. It comes together with other exciting annotating features like underline, strikeout text, the addition of sticky notes, and the addition of text. You click on the highlight button and then select the text to highlight. You can customize the colors to suit your preference. It is available for Windows 8.1 and later versions only. It is available for free download from the Microsoft store.
The list of the best PDF highlighters is long, but these ten applications enable you to highlight PDF documents besides many more features. Both free and premium software is available, and depending on your budget, you can find what is best for you. The premium versions have trial versions where you can see how best it suits you before purchasing it.